When it comes to children and reading, MPL is pleased to foster this important connection through a series of programs and online library subscriptions geared specifically toward encouraging a child to read.
Experience stories in action with TumbleBooks, our rich and animated collection of e-books. Access the collection without a library card and without checking out a stack of heavy books to carry home – they’re all online and, of course, they’re free!
- Storybooks, read-alongs, games, puzzles, and more
- Accelerated Reader quiz numbers are readily available to help reinforce and improve young readers’ comprehension skills
- Sample titles: Dear Peter Rabbit, Princess Justina Albertina, Abby and Tess – Pet Sitters, Ace Lacewing: Bug Detective, And You Can Come Too, and much more
- Audio books
- Categories: fiction, nonfiction, classics, children’s books, new books, and Spanish language books
- Sample titles: Mansfield Park, Robinson Crusoe, Frankenstein, Uncle Tom’s Cabin, The Art of War, Something Wicked This Way Comes, The Wind in the Willows, Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm, In the Shadow of the Ark, and much more!
BookFlix is a new interactive literacy resource that builds a love of reading and learning – online! BookFlix pairs classic fictional video storybooks from Weston Woods with nonfiction eBooks from Scholastic to reinforce reading skills and develop essential real-world knowledge and understanding.
Consider these reading lists compiled by librarians.
2x2 Reading List
The 2x2 Reading List is a project of the Children’s Round Table, a unit of the Texas Library Association, charged with producing a list of 20 recommended books for children, age 2 to grade 2.
Texas Bluebonnet Award
A reading program sponsored by the Texas Library Association that produces a yearly master list of 20 distinguished books for children, grade 3 to grade 6.
ALA’s Notable Children’s Books List
An archived list of children’s books deemed exemplary by the American Library Association.