Kate P. Horan
Mon – Thu: 9:00 AM – 9:00 PM | Fri – Sat: 9:00 AM – 6:00 PM | Sun: 1:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Click on the slideshow to view the entire set of photos:
Borrowing • Meeting Center • Interlibrary Loan • Test Proctoring • Tours • Genealogy • Local History
McAllen Public Library opened for business on November 12, 1932, in a room at the McAllen Chamber of Commerce. The fledgling library grew rapidly, relocating to the First Baptist Church and then to the Archer Park Bandstand to meet space demands. It remained in the basement of the Bandstand for nearly 15 years, until May 28, 1950, the day the Old Main Library (on Main and Fir Streets) opened to the public.
In 2007, as part of its 75th anniversary celebration, the Library created a commemorative historical timeline, provided here for download: Historical Timeline [jpg].
Over the decades the Old Main Library evolved architecturally, expanding from a one-story building to a three-story structure, and the collection within grew immensely.
On November 23, 2011, the Old Main Library closed its doors in preparation for the move to the New Main Library at 4001 N. 23rd St. and Nolana Ave, McAllen.
The New Main Library opened for business Saturday, December 10, 2011. For photos, videos, and facts about the New Main Library visit: http://bit.ly/newmpl